Have your locks been missing out on some va-va-voom lately? Why not plump it up with a few awesome tips.
1. Whatever your hair type, lather up with a clarifying shampoo weekly, then immediately replenish lost moisture and elasticity (the bounce-factor that's key to scoring swingy strands) with a thickening rinse-out conditioner. This will help get rid of any residue from using your regular hair routine, leaving you weightless and squeaky clean!
2. Use a texturizing powder, skip the hairspray. The powder will give an extra lift and also grab any extra oil that may be laying around.
3. Blow dry your hair with a blast of cool, this will leave strands big and beautiful!
1. Find your hair's inner strength by packing your breakfast plate with protein (the lowest supply of amino-acid-rich blood flow is in the a.m.). Add some lovely omega-3's (Chia seeds anyone!?) and make sure you grab your protein. This will help your body build hair that is rich in keratin. Why pay for treatments when you can just have healthy locks??
2. Hair, Skin or Nail pills? Just opt for a multi-vitamin that will help you get the basics straight, this will help your hair grow more healthy, which will mean less breakage.
3. Stimulate growth naturally by simply massaging your scalp when you shampoo: The movement helps increase blood flow to hair follicles.
1.Don't use a professional hair dryer, you probably need one with about 1/2 the power. This will make it so that your hair doesn't get used to the intense heat, and is more easy to manage. Always make sure you prep your hair with a heat friendly treatment!
3. Take time once a week for TLC. For thick or course hair, use a moisturizing mask laced with mega-hydrators such as marula oil, as well as soy proteins and shea butter, or douse strands with a botanical oil, which acts as a Band-Aid, filling in gaps in the cuticle. For finer strands, a lighter, milkier treatment can be a gorgeous-hair game changer (think of it like an oil-free serum for skin).
4. The healthier your hair, the more smoothly the tiny scales that make up the cuticle lie, which increases light reflection. To get a shine boost stat, swap goopy glosses for a sheer mist.
5. Frayed ends beyond repair? GET IT TRIMMED! Every six weeks, just the splittys... your hair will be happier for it!
With the long awaited arrival of the Great Gatsby, it's time to get inspired! Throw on a glittery gown, and some fabulous accessories to really channel your inner roaring 20's diva. Make sure to keep your makeup and nails to a minimum, so that the glitter takes center stage.
Ps- check out the awesome infinity bracelet and hair ties in our store!
I know I keep saying over and over again how fantastic coconut oil is, BUT here is a great little trick that is going to make your skin silky smooth, and summer soft. The hem line keeps getting shorter, so you better keep your legs prepared!
Not only does this moisturize, but it smells fantastic! AND IS CHEAP! Don't splurge on other exfoliators, because I'm sure we've all learned the importance of a good rub down before the spray tan!
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
No fuss! Just mix it together, and you are ready to go! One great trick is during a hot shower to rub it into the dry areas, and then let it sit. Kind of like conditioner for your skin!
Trying to figure out what to do today with your work makeup? Well here are three looks that are ALWAYS fashionably hot. Choosing the one thing you can't do wrong, now that's always a fantastic choice! These models came straight off of the 2013 runways!
The right amount of moisturizer, and a beautiful coverage of imperfections will leave you with a dewy, perfect glow. It's basically looking like you've got perfect skin, even when that may not be the case! Making sure that you're adequately hydrated, well exfoliated, and then using a good foundation will really go a long way!
If you're going to go for a bold day-time lip, always make sure that you keep the eyes understated. A bit of mascara will go a long way, and really make it so that you stay chic and not over the top. Every person has their shade of red, it's just a matter of finding it!
Want to add a bit of drama to your daytime routine? Go for a smokey eye, and classic nude lip. This pairing will make even the most daring look more ladylike. Going out for dinner after work? Easy! Just make sure you use a blot powder to set your makeup and bring a fun gloss for the night out. Keep it nude for the day, and maybe throw in a soft peach for after hours. The options are endless!
The braid came back in full force on the Spring 2013 runways, and even though we're a couple months away from the Summer sun, it's still nice to bask in the lovely hair fashions.
Balmain rocked this messy chic look on the runway.High fashion meets high school? Not to sure, but I'm loving the teasing on the crown! It's like the bedhead braid!
The Row. Now we all must admit that there is a tiny bit of us that will be forever in love with Mary Kate & Ashley. The sophisticated braids of their new ready to wear line are no exception! This one is my absolute favorite!
Jason Wu continues to amaze with this slick, and practically perfect bun-braid combo. It's absolutely immactulate, minus the bobby pins that is!
Marchesa let their designs be the centerpiece with this understated low ponytail and braid fusion. Such a lovely marriage between two of springs hottest hair trends!
Herve Ledger follows the minimalist approach, and it looks fantastic! This look would be absolutely perfect for girls with naturally straight hair! If it's what you were given, play up it's benefit and make a classic look edgy!
Dehydrated? Sleep Deprived? Every bone in your body is aching? Well, it's time to get some rest and re-hydrate!
Check out this fantastic watermelon infused water, which is the perfect way to get your water intake back on track!
Watermelon is a fantastic power fruit! It helps your body flush out toxins, and focuses on the liver. It helps the kidneys and liver rid themselves of excess ammonia, which can start to take a toll on your energy levels. Let's not forget that it's delicious and perfect to get us all prepped for Summer which is right around the corner!
Mint helps relax stomach muscles, and can help ease indigestion, bloat and upset stomach. It also adds a refreshing crisp taste to your drink!
Just add watermelon (rinds and all) and 10 leaves of mint to a pitcher of water, let it seep overnight and then enjoy!
What are your tricks to help you recover from a massive weekend??
Before you load up with your friends, and have one of the most amazing three day sessions of your life, be sure to make sure you are prepared!
1) A safe place to keep your belongings is always a smart start. Even though everyone is coming to have a great time, sometimes fun can be spoiled when things are lost or stolen! Make sure that you have a list of contacts written down and kept separate from your mobile phone. If you loose it, or it runs out of batteries, you'll still be able to contact your crew. Also, make sure that you keep your money and ID in a prime position.
2) Hydrate! Being surrounded by thousands of your "closest" friends, hydration isn't always a priority. Make sure that you start drinking lots of water NOW so that if you are neglecting your body the next couple days, it won't be too terrible. We definitely recommend drinking the right amount of water, but sometimes you forget when you're seeing The Postal Service and completely fan-girling.
3) Make A Plan! It may seem elementary (like literally, school kid, third grade) but make sure that you've got a plan incase you split up with your friends. No one wants to be left alone in a massive music festival, and you can't always guarantee that you will have cell service or battery life. Be smart, it takes 30 seconds to plan it out and you may not need it- but if the event happens and you do, you'll totally regret it.
4) PRIORITIZE! Too many good acts in such a short amount of time, make sure that you see the people that you will regret not seeing. I always like to think of it it as How often do they play? Have I seen them before? Are they on my must-see-before-I-die list? Don't miss out on the person you've waited forever to see just because you didn't check the set lists!
5) Hygiene Although we're sure that you will smell pretty all the time, it doesn't hurt to pack a spare deodorant for the person who may have forgotten it. This will make for a much more pleasant experience for everyone.
Have fun! Be Safe! And don't forget your Kitsch!
Hashtag and Tag us on your Instagram to share the memories!
With only 4 days until the first weekend, it's time to narrow down choices. What are you going to do with your hair for the big weekend? Here are some of our favorite ideas!
Tame your frizz, and skip brushing with a turban!
Fishtail braids are effortlessly chic, and if hair starts to fall out of place while you're rocking out, then there is absolutely no need to worry! It will look amazing either way! Make sure you pair it with your favorite hairtie to accent the bottom of the braid! I would go for a glitter in a heartbeat.
Maybe you want to be 100% flower child this time around? No worries! You've still got room for Kitsch on your wrist!
Kick your traditional headband up a notch and channel your inner 70's goddess. This is one look that never goes out of style for music festivals!
Can't decide if you want it up or down?? Go for the half way, and treat yourself to a lovely side swept braid. It will keep the hair out of your face, but still leave some glam.
The crown braid reflects the marriage between an updo and braids! A match made in heaven! Don't worry you will be the epitome of chic no matter how hot and sweaty it gets in the crowd.
Okay, it's official- here is REAL MAN PERSPECTIVE. How did I get this? By asking a lot of men, from the nice guys to the bad boys, here are the Five things they notice almost instantly when they meet a girl.
SMILE- Yes, your face gets noticed before the rest of your body (generally speaking, because Men are still men, so make sure you're dressing so that you still leaving things to the imagination, if not it's an open invitation to stare). In that case, always make sure that your teeth are in top condition, guys aren't as picky as girls are when it comes to perfectly straight teeth, but they like them to still look pearly.
HAIR- Most guys I spoke to don't particularly care for top buns, tight pony tails or anything that's too perfect or tight. They prefer girls with their hair naturally. Let it be wavy, or straight or style it so that it has that great big curl look. A lot of the time it means less effort on your part, and makes so much more of an impact.
EYE MAKEUP- Sounds weird, yes I know.. eye makeup? But if a guy is noticing it, it's not a good thing. When was the last time a straight man told you that you did an amazing smokey eye? Unless he was a makeup artist, then it's probably because a lot of times guys just feel like we got into a fight with a crayola. Don't underestimate the power of good makeup and don't forget that a night out on a date sometimes means a different style than a night out with the girls. Women appreciate different things, I think that's pretty obvious already.
CONFIDENCE- When you exude happiness, personality and a little bit of sassy attitude you are so much more of a catch. No one wants to talk to the girl who isn't having fun on her own. Instead of waiting for someone to talk to you, start talking to other people. You don't have to be interested in them, and they can just be other women, but being able to hold your own at a party is definitely attractive. It also shows that you can be independent at social gatherings.
PERSONAL STYLE- Who are you? What are you wearing? Why are you wearing it? Although this goes along with the idea of being confident, having a personal style is something guys like, without realizing it's what they are into. So many guys told me they like when a girl "is comfortable in what she's wearing, and not just trying to look like other girls" so make sure that your outfit is reflective of you! If you can pull that off, then you're warranting the respect of men and women everywhere!
Now you know what men notice... are you ready to grab a date? Or are you going to be searching for a new one at Coachella!?
Salad: 5 cups cooked and cooled quinoa one 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed 2 ears of corn, kernels cut from cob 2 cups halved or quartered cherry tomatoes 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, and diced 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (~1/2 of a bell pepper) 2 avocados, diced
Dressing: 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (~1 lime) 2 tablespoons honey 1/2 teaspoon cumin 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro 1/3 cup olive oil
1. Mix first four ingredients of dressing together in a small measuring cup or bowl. While whisking, add in olive oil. 2. Combine all salad ingredients in very large bowl. Pour dressing over and gently stir until combined and all ingredients are coated with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Since we're only half way through March, why not celebrate the most powerful women in Fashion?
The last name says it all, or does it? Miuccia has a Ph. D. in Political Science, and with the help of her husband has turned the once luggage only family business into a multi-million dollar style house.
She helped transform the Prada name into a household icon and sought after by many world wide. By the way, she still lives in the same apartment she grew up in as a child, how's that for humble?
Kanye raps about her, books are written in her likeliness and absolutely everyone respects her fashion advice. The timeless bob and oversized glasses are reflective of her signature look, and definitive style.
As editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine, Anna can be seen at every notable fashion show, after hours event and is helping forecast what you want to buy even before you know about it.
Although she's claimed to be quite the ice queen, she has changed the face of Vogue while still maintaining it's prestige. She's made fashion available to the masses by making the magazine not only feature the latest trends, but also how it can be utilized in lower price pointed ready to wear.
----Next week will will feature more! We are just getting started!
With March honoring National Women's Month, there will most certainly be debates regarding feminism, antifeminism, and a women's "place". The people before us have fought long, and hard for our rights- but the most important part of the fight was that they were fighting for happiness and equality.
Be happy, honor equality and never settle for less.
The Kitsch blog is here to discuss and share all things Kitsch, from our elastic hair ties and headbands that are kind on your hair, cute on your wrist, to our super cool sometimes vintage jewelry. We'll have fun photo sharing contests and giveaways, informative how-to guides, and and other random awesomeness. All are welcome to participate!